Sunday, July 17, 2011

Our Journey Begins

As our journey begins to learn more about West Virginia Coal and its environmental, economic, and cultural impacts on my home state, I cant help but think and be slightly ashamed that I've lived here my entire life and have yet to experience or understand the depth of this topic.
A Recap of Day 1-

FIRST as we traveled up the interstate, I cant explain how cool it was to see my first wind turbine( and yes I am a science teacher). The wind farm we stopped at in Parsons WV was described in my van as peaceful. That's exactly how I feel. To know that energy is being created without destroying the environment in any way makes me so happy.

NEXT  we drove into Thomas WV. On the surface you see a deserted historic town. However as we got out to stretch and take a closer look, Dr. Little explained the rich history that coal and the railroad provided this town. He said the railroad "wrote the story on Coal".  One thing I'm curious about is how he describes the differences in northern coal companies and southern coal  and how the lifestyles and quality of life differed. I can't understand why men who eventually became our senators didn't have more impact on the southern coal communities. What I've read thus far is about  old coal town involved the battles and the rough conditions I am now thinking that perhaps this was not the case in every mine town. I do so hope this is true.

I am so proud to be from West Virginia and the beauty I have seen today is only day one. I"m excited for this week both for a learning experience as well as a collaboration between all of the wonderful people I've met in this class.

P.S. We are staying at Cannan Valley Resort and as we walked to our rooms, I got an up close and personal TOUCH of a deer!

Main Street In Thomas



They were actually very quite.

My roommate for the night!.

2 comments:

  1. Keep up the good work! Tell everyone I am enjoying the narratives and pictures in the blogs.

    ReplyDelete
  2. The next few days, as we enter the southern coal fields, we'll get a better picture of the differences. I agree, very interesting!

    ReplyDelete