Tuesday, July 19, 2011

Home sweet Home

With high hopes and a full night's sleep we started our day traveling to Joe Knob in Anjean WV.  This is where I will remind everyone that I am from this area and have lived most of my life..but shockingly I have never before seen this place. Due to rain I did not take any pictures but I will explain how it looked by describing how I felt. I was truely shocked. Not in a biased, anti coal way. It was more of a 'hit with reality' way. It was unreal to see a true, current coal mining operation. I felt that I was touring the remnants of a war zone. I have so much respect for a person to call that a full days work. As a benefit of the rain we saw first hand how and what the factors were that cause worry for the department of environmental protection. More than just the coal operation we saw the reclaimation efforts that were man made. Sure there is no biodiversity but in truth I feel that from the bottom of the mountain to Joe Knob the effort at this point is better than nothing. Nature will heal itself with time. Perhaps completely leaving the land as in Thomas it would have ended up more bio-diverse. Here however we have non native or invasive plants  in attempt to reconstruct the natural layout of the land. Basically it is now a barren land that provided our state with revenue but the question is what now? Im interested to follow the possibilties of this land and the success. Dr. Little explained some efforts that give me hope that all is not lost in the name of coal especially if there are percautionary efforts and people maintain this clean water act.
I think this week I will refect more about joe knob because it has me thinking.

Later we went into my "stomping" ground as we drove to Nuttallburg WV. I will admit upfront I am completely biased about this area. I feel it is one of the most beautiful places I have ever seen. I've driven into Nuttalburg many times and viewed the abandoned and broken foundations. We tested the water from a mountain stream and I sure would swim there!   The pH was nearly perfect and the overall quality was 72.2 which was in the description of a good stream. It was debated that the water is still at risk due to the conductivity levels but i feel it is also due to the rain from the day.

Though today had many bumps from the agenda, I feel it was a true success. From the eyes of a teacher I feel this area would be a shocker or the wow factor for our Cabell Co kids. However I have decided today that our kids absolutely need to see this area. Eyes need opened and ideas need to flow and I feel seeing a little of the mountain state would help them feel like the mountaineer they truly are.

Modeling the remnants of the town!

Again check out those boots!


Van 2

No comments:

Post a Comment